Monday, May 9, 2011

This Dessert is So Wrong, But So Good!

So Saturday rolled around nice and sunny and pretty warm out. Mike bough grass seed to patch the yard and I found an unabeled container of something in the freezer. I decided to be brave and let it thaw so we could see what it was (it could have been any number of things ranging from homemade spaghetti sauce to chili).

Turned out it was Mike's homemade spaghetti sauce after all. We had spaghetti and meatballs and watched Friday's Fringe.

Then the sweet tooth craving hit.

I don't actually make a whole lot of desserts. We're not a desserts every night couple. It's more of a desserts on special occasions. Or if I happen to be walking the baked aisle at Whole Foods (because they usually have tasty looking treats).

I wasn't feeling too hot on Saturday either, a combination of allergies and a sinus infection, so whatever I came up with had to be completely on hand and very easy to make. I started to reach for the apple crisp recipe I mentioned last, when I remembered Banoffee Pie!

I few months back, Saveur posted this classic Banoffee Pie recipe and I'd stored it until I had the ingredients. But my bananas were always overripe, or Mike had eaten them all, or there was no sweetened condensed milk in the house. You get the picture.

It all fell into place on Saturday. Not only did I have everything on hand, I even had heavy cream from the local dairy!

Banoffee, if you don't know, is a banana toffee pie. A cream pie. No baking required. You assemble your crust (we used graham crackers). You cook your sugar, butter, and sweetened condensed milk (you know, I don't know how my grandmother felt about bananas, but I can't believe I didn't find this recipe in time to make it for her). You pour your filling into your crust and one full Fringe episode later, you slice your bananas on top and cover it all with freshly whipped cream -- as I said, I used the heavy cream from our local dairy, no sweetener added. It cut the toffee pudding quite a bit, which was nice.

And since I did two small individual ramekins, we have toffee leftover for dipping!

So wrong on so many levels. I mean, if you spend all day at the gym, you can probably not feel guilty about eating a dessert that's the equivalent of bananas smothered in sweetened condensed milk, but man, it tastes so good!

Sorry no pics. We ate it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment