Friday, April 29, 2011

Easy Apple Crisp

So Easter was going a last minute affair in our house this year. Up until just two days before, I had been planning to do a small pork roast for just the two of us. I'd debated about a ham, but the only ones I'd been able to find were 10lbs or more -- way too much for just two people, although we probably would have made a valiant effort.

But it just so happened that we made plans with company at the last minute. I got one of those spiral sliced jobs with a sweet glaze (because I love sweet glaze on my ham) and I made the on-again-off-again hashbrown casserole (on-again-off-again because it only seems to come out the way I like it about half the time), as well as a creamy broccoli cauliflower soup that was a first time recipe for me.

I wasn't sure about dessert, though. I actually tried to make my grocery trip as short and sweet as possible due to the crowds and I didn't grab anything sweet. I think my initial thought was just that we're always so stuffed, dessert gets left over for us to gorge on later. Something I definitely didn't need.

But we had a ton of apples. A TON! And I had all the basics, including a refrigerated pie crust (just one, though). So very, very last minute (morning of, while the ham was reheating) I searched for quick apple crisp recipes and found this one from the Neelys.

It's a keeper and will be my go to for last minute desserts from now on. So quick and simple to put together! We even had some Boulder Ice Cream brand Sweet Cream ice cream in the fridge (which makes a much yummier topping than simple vanilla or whipped cream!). It was probably the most perfect, inexpensive and tasty dessert I could have found for that day. In truth, I waffled between it and an apple cake recipe that I really want to try, but decided that the oven adventures were not something I wanted to wrestle with considering the rest of the meal I was trying to put together.

No comments:

Post a Comment