Wednesday, April 6, 2011

My Yellow Curry Mistake

So I do some shopping at our international stores and a while back I bought two cans each of the red, green, and yellow curry pastes. By now I've used all of the red and green as I frequently come across recipes that call for one or the other, but I'd not done anything with the yellow just yet.

One cold day two weeks ago, I decided I wanted some lentil soup. Lentil with curry and coconut and veggies. But all I had was yellow. No big deal, I thought. Yes, sort of a big deal.

I opened the yellow curry and spooned a massive spoonful into my soup when I realized it smelled fishily familiar. Fishy. Yep. 34% fish paste. I'm not sure if all yellow curry pastes are the same, but I definitely was not expecting it (hey, you gotta try new stuff, but maybe I'd be better off checking those ingredients before experimenting, right?).

Note to self: keep more green curry on hand and don't substitute yellow when you really want green. The soup turned out ok -- not the flavor I was looking for obviously (also tried to hurry the lentils, which never works). Not a big hit, but not a total flub.

No comments:

Post a Comment