Friday, April 15, 2011

Biscuits and Gravy

Last weekend, I had the pleasure of reading Jael McHenry's debut, The Kitchen Daughter. It's fiction, but it does include a handful of recipes (the main character can see ghosts when she prepares a dish from a handwritten recipe card). It's a sweet read and seeing as how McHenry is a foodie herself (she has recipes at her Simmer blog) so I decided to give a few of The Kitchen Daughter recipes a try.

First off, I've never made homemade biscuits. I think I rolled mine too flat, though, because while they weren't dense, they weren't fluffy and flaky either. Well... that's not entirely true. The first batch were rolled out thinner than the next and those second batch biscuits were more what I'd hoped the whole batch would be. So now I know.

For the sausage gravy, I bought some breakfast sausage at Herbs (so yummy!). I ate too much. Probably not the healthiest meal I've had all week, but it was a pretty tasty one!

You can find the recipe and an excerpt of The Kitchen Daughter here at Scribd.

No comments:

Post a Comment