Thursday, April 21, 2011

Homemade Tomato Soup

I made tomato soup last night. This in spite of the fact that I spent all day looking and pictures of hamburgers and onion rings! Actually, it was to be a meal of tomato soup and burgers, but the meat didn't defrost in time and I really didn't want to go grocery shopping. So it was tomato soup and grilled cheese. Yum!

The best tomato soup ever is one that I've had many times at Cafe Foods in Boulder. Dennis makes a Tomato and Cream Cheese Soup that is absolutely to die for. I highly recommend it if you're out Boulder way at lunch time during the week (they have a killer egg salad, excellent sandwiches, and usually five daily soup options).

With the Cookbooker Smitten Kitchen Challenge, I decided to see of she might have a tomato soup recipe hiding in her archives. Sure enough, there was. You can find the recipes here.

I actually had everything on hand for once. I had in mind that I wanted tomato soup last time I went to the store, so I bought two large cans of canned tomatoes specifically for that purpose. The most time consuming portion of this recipe (and oddly somewhat relaxing and meditative) was seeding the canned tomatoes. After that, it was pretty smooth sailing. The soup was, as the title of the recipe promised, creamy, and the perfect complement to the grilled cheese (Mike's addition to dinner).

I've got leftovers for lunch as well. Nice considering it's been raining all week! Next time I may Dennis it up by adding some cream cheese or a little swirl of pesto instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment