Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Hazel Dell Mushrooms

Just one of the many vendors at our Boulder Farmers' Market is the Hazel Dell Mushroom Farm, located in nearby Loveland.

I tend to increase my ingredient list one item at a time and mushrooms are a recent and growing addition. When I was doing my training in Charleston, I ate frequently at The Glass Onion and one of their dishes was a local fish with green beans and oyster mushrooms. Those mushrooms were by far one of the most amazing things I have ever tasted. Sure, I've had mushrooms, but these were meaty and flavorful and all around wonderful!

But I've been having trouble finding them for myself. I did run across some dried at Whole Foods, but I knew the mushroom man at the Farmers' Market would be my best shot.

Finally, victory! They were cheap and abundant and I came home with a whole bag of oysters mixed with shiitakes on Saturday. We ate some of them sauteed in butter and white wine, garlic, and parsley and served over this fantastic local spinach (also an FM purchase).

I still have some left and am trying to figure out how I'm going to cook them next. I'm thinking Hazel Dell will see a lot of me this Farmers' Market season!

No comments:

Post a Comment