Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Beet Salad

My semi-healthy dinner after the cupcake class: roasted beet salad with blood oranges, red onions, and (here comes the unhealthy part) blue cheese. I then drizzled 2 teaspoons of orange olive oil and 2 teaspoons of sherry vinegar over the whole thing and topped it off with some cracked black pepper. Yum!

Here's my beet roasting method -- you can do as many or as few as you like. Mike doesn't really like the red ones so I actually sometimes do just one at a time if I don't have any yellow ones to share with him:

Preheat oven to 425.

Trim the greens off, leaving about 1-inch of stem attached (or none, I only use them for holding the beets while I peel and cut them later). Save the greens for later -- you can cook them the same as any other greens. I wash them and cut them before storing them in a paper towel lined Ziploc bag or Tupperware container.

Cut any dangling root off the bottom of the beets and then wrap the beets in a foil pouch. Be careful to fold up the ends of the foil securely (you don't want to wrap the beets tightly, but you don't want any of the red beet juice to be able to spill out of your foil or it will make a terrible mess).

Place the pouch on a sheet pan and bake the beets for 1 hour 15 minutes. You want the beets to be soft enough that a knife will slide right in an out.

Let the beets cool for a few minutes and then you can use a paper towel to slide the skin right off.

Slice and serve as you like.

No comments:

Post a Comment