Thursday, March 25, 2010

Salad Days

The sun is out and the temps are getting warm enough (on certain days) for me to turn off the heater. Yay! It's a sign that winter is finally ending.

I have food issues during the winter. I love food. All the time. But for some reason when the snow is falling, I get this urge to consume everything edible in the house. Inevitably, I get the craving for salad, but it's hard to get excited about salad when it's freezing cold outside.

Spring and summer mean going back to lighter meals for me and being ok about it! Yay, again!

I'm a big fan of salads. I could eat salad all the time as long as I have a variety of things to put on it. I poach salad ideas from everywhere and love to find new recipes. Plus, with my winter overeating, it's definitely necessary to get into some low-cal/healthy eating habits. Salads are kind of happy food, too. I mean, they make me happy.

My parents can attest to the fact that as a kid salad bars were always a favorite of mine. But the salads usually took the form of ranch soup, drowning in so much dressing all of the nutritional value was trumped by the buttermilk concoction. I like a well dressed salad, but I've gotten much better. I've also gleaned some salad dressing tips and tricks from cookbooks and restaurants (prepare your salad in a BIG bowl that you can toss it in and then you can use less dressing).

I haven't gotten over my need for lots of cheese in the salads, though. Love the cheese.

Anywho, I'm going to try and post some of my favorite salad links here for you. Sometimes it's easier to follow a recipe than to try and get inspired by your fridge leftovers and pantry staples.

Here's a super easy one for grilling season (and it has an AMAZING flavor that you just wouldn't believe). It's Sam Zien's recipe for Grilled Hearts of Romaine. Easy and tasty (and there's video instructions with it).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment