Wednesday, March 3, 2010

What's in a Name?

Why Truffles and Pistolettes?

Well, I'm terrible at coming up with names. I agonize over titles. It's the first thing people see. It's the snap judgement people will make about whether or not they want to continue reading. It's pressure.

I wanted to come up with something clever, something that I wouldn't be embarrassed over later. I also didn't want a name that would convey a limited sort of subject.

I'm a Cajun girl and I figured a wholly Cajun name would make people think this was a blog devoted to Cajun food, which it won't be. There will be a ton of Cajun food here, don't get me wrong, but there will be a ton of other things as well -- my food tastes are very eclectic, and I wanted the name of the blog to let people know that. So Truffles and Pistolettes. Something that makes me think of the epitome of classy, expensive food, and something I love from high school football and fair concession stands.

You know that a truffle is a fungus rooted out and sold by the ounce for beaucoup bucks (white truffles cost thousands by the pound). You may not know what a pistolette is, though.

It's a fried little piece of bread heaven. They're football shaped white rolls available throughout south Louisiana. They're not, however, available in Colorado. I've been craving a good pistolette for ages. Cut open and stuffed with etouffee, they make the best hand-held comfort food I've ever tasted.

When I was in high school, I was in marching band. Mandatory football game attendance was required all season and I couldn't stand football. But, there was one school whose concession stand sold these pistolettes and I looked forward to that away game every time it rolled around. By third quarter when we were allowed to leave the stands for our post-march break, the line to this stand would be filled with uniformed teens trying to get up front in time to get a crawfish pistolette before they sold out.

Later, in the summer between my freshman and sophomore years of college, I worked at a restaurant in our mall food court that sold pistolettes. All the pistolettes I could stand to eat! But they also sold baked potatoes topped with etouffee and fried shrimp -- that's a story for another time.

I'll have to search for a good pistolette recipe for this summer. Like I said, they're fried so maybe I'll christen that Fry Daddy with them!

So there you have it. Truffles and Pistolettes.

1 comment: