Thursday, March 4, 2010

Fractal Veggies

So I mentioned that I signed up for produce delivery and it really is fantastic. Door to Door Organics delivers all over Colorado and offers bi-weekly or weekly delivery. They also let you choose the size of the box and whether you want all veggies, all fruits, or a combination. They deliver in other areas as well, so if you're interested, I'd definitely recommend checking them out.

I opted for bi-weekly delivery, so I get an email every other week listing the produce that's set for that box. I can go in and make changes according to preference (so if I don't want broccoli one week, I can sub out for something else). You can also set preferences so if you really HATE broccoli, you never have to get it.

I'm a spur of the moment shopper and was buying organic milk from a local dairy at our Whole Foods. But every time I had to go buy a new bottle, I found myself doing some heavy Whole Foods shopping -- good for them but not so good for my budget. I thought that signing up for produce delivery (and milk delivery actually) would help keep me from spending so much money at the store. And it really has. Plus it's helped me to add more fruits and veggies to our meals. I get a different variety every other week and it's made me use some things that I normally wouldn't have purchased for myself.

I'm such a dork that it's like getting a gift every other week. And I love trying to figure out new ways to prepare the stuff that I get. Some of it I've never even tried before, like this funny looking member of the broccoli/cauliflower family.

I didn't find many recipes for romanesco, but seeing as how it's supposed to be so similar to broccoli and cauliflower, I figured the preparation must be the same. Part of me was remiss to actually prepare it since it was so cool looking!

I ended up making smothered pork chops with brown rice, and the romanesco to go alongside.

I cut it up like I would broccoli and steamed it. Since I prefer my broccoli more mushy than crunchy, I figured this would work for the romanesco as well. After I steamed it, I placed it in a baking dish and sprinkled minced garlic over the top with a little fresh lemon juice. I baked the romanesco in a 350 degree oven until the garlic was cooked (I probably should have put the garlic in when I steamed the romanesco, but it was a bit of an afterthought). Then I sprinkled Italian bread crumbs and Parmesan over the top and turned up the broiler for about 5-10 minutes to brown the bread crumbs and melt the Parmesan.

The romanesco was a bit sweeter than broccoli. Given the choice, I'd definitely try it again. Not really sure when I'll come across it again, though. It definitely lightened up the smothered pork chop dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment